Look and Listen... | Regardez et écoutez ...
What to do When Your Child Doesn’t Want to Read | Mon enfant ne veut pas lire! Quoi faire?
Remember, there are many things a child can read besides a chapter book.
Download this Reading Strategy as a PDF.
Provide a variety of reading materials:
- comics and joke books | bandes dessinées et blagues
- instruction manuals | manuels d’utilisation
- menus and recipes | menus et recettes
- song lyrics | paroles de chansons
- brochures, flyers | dépliants, pamphlets
- signs | babillards d’annonces
- cereal boxes | boîtes de céréales
- emails, web pages, blogs | couriels, pages webs, blogs
- letters | lettres
- magazines | revues
Spend more time reading to your reluctant reader.
- Read with passion and enthusiasm
- Replace a character’s name with your child’s name
Get caught reading.
- Be a role model and sit down to read your own book
- Talk to your child about what you are reading and why you are reading it
- Reluctant readers often respond well to humour at their level
Introduce series books.
- They often have predictable stories and characters which build confidence in reluctant readers
Visit the library.
Order your child a magazine subscription about a topic of interest.
- A magazine becomes a personal invitation to read when your child’s name is on the mailing label