Look and Listen... | Regardez et écoutez ...
Helping Your Child Get Ready to Read |
Comment aider avec la lecture
Read to your child everyday in English and/or in French.
Download this Reading Strategy as a PDF.
Make reading together a special time.
- Encourage your child to hold the book and turn the pages
Point to the words you are reading.
- Follow the print with your finger from left to right
Listen to your child retell the story in his/her own words.
Choose books that are repetitive and full of rhyme so your child can join in the reading.
- An important part of reading is to read favourite books again and again
Encourage your child to tell the story from the pictures.
- Ask your child what he/she thinks will happen next
Put magnetic letters on your fridge.
- Encourage your child to talk about letters and make words
Talk to your child.
- Tell stories about your family
- Ask questions
- Discuss the day over dinner
Make sure your child has a comfortable, inviting spot to read or study.
Set limits on TV viewing and computer use.
- Talk about the written words you see in the world around you
Point out print everywhere.
- Read signs and labels
Continue reading to or with your child once he/she can read.
- It is a great way to spend some time together