Look and Listen... | Regardez et écoutez ...
Scanning | La technique de repérage
Scanning is a reading technique used to quickly find one specific piece of information in a text.
Scanning is a quick read which allows the reader to focus on locating specific information. The reader aims to move his or her eyes quickly down a page to seek specific information such as vocabulary, words, phrases, numbers or data relevant to a task.
The reader knows what he or she is looking for and concentrates on locating the piece of information.
Scanning helps a reader:
- find answers to content-specific questions
- search for predetermined information
- locate names, dates, times, symbols, formulae, key words, phrases, data and events
- locate text features such as indexes, headings/subheadings, captions, labels, and drop-down menus to further help understand texts
- determine whether a resource will answer his or her questions
- rapidly locate the desired website, webpage, email or document
- determine the purpose of the text or type of material
- confirm predictions
- save time and improve learning efficiency
To help your child develop proficient scanning skills, have him/her read a variety of material relevant to a purpose using this technique.
There are many everyday uses for scanning. For example, have your child scan through:
- bus, train or airplane schedules to spot departure/arrival times and locations
- television listings online or in a newspaper to help choose (French) shows
- movie listings online or in a newspaper to determine show times
- sport news online or in a newspaper to find or confirm scores
- magazines to find French brands
- online/printed newspapers or flyers to find specific produce items, merchandise, prices or (French) events
- signs to identify a product, a name, a location, an e-mail address or a phone number
- timetables to confirm or check on times and locations
- employment or classified advertisements to hunt for opportunities (in the French community)
- emails to find names, addresses or events
- a telephone book to look up names, businesses or phone numbers
- a dictionary to research new words or French vocabulary