Look and Listen... | Regardez et écoutez ...
Summarizing | Résumer
Good readers monitor their understanding and reflect on what they have read.
Summarizing is a reading comprehension strategy that involves understanding a text and being able to briefly state the main points or facts of that text. The reader aims to condense the key ideas or information and the major supporting details into his/her own words. A summary includes only the author’s ideas and leaves out the reader’s personal opinions or interpretations.
Summarizing encourages readers to:
- monitor their comprehension
- zero in on the big ideas of the text
- differentiate between interesting and essential ideas or information
- understand the organizational structure of texts
- break down large selections of text into more manageable pieces or sections
- focus on key vocabulary and phrases of a text
- voice what is important
- apply their decision making and analytical skills
Tips to help your child improve his/her summarizing skills.
Engage in a conversation with your child and ask him/her to summarize:
Help your child summarize the meaning of what he/she has read:
Help your child in determining key ideas and main points in the text: